5 Tips To Get The Most Out Of EdFEST
by Beyond Editorial Team
Choosing the right school for your child is one of the most important decisions you can make as a parent. EdFEST, My School DC’s annual public school fair, is an excellent opportunity for families in Washington DC to learn about their public school options in one convenient place.
We believe that every child has unique needs, so we’ve compiled 5 tips to help families like you get the most out of EdFEST and choose the right school for your child.
Mark your calendar! EdFest is Saturday, December 14, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the DC Armory (2001 East Capitol St SE).
Tip 1: Know What You Want
- Think through what is important to you in a school. Write down 5-7 things that matter most and rank them. Examples could include the school’s mission, population, location, curriculum, test scores, or school culture.
- Be sure to consider your child’s learning style and any special needs they may have.
Tip 2: Be Prepared
- Make a list of schools you want to visit and chart your course by printing the floorplan.
- Write a list of questions to bring with you as you visit school booths. Check out these downloadable questions for inspiration.
- Check out our Rocketship schools and say hi! Rocketship Fort Totten, our new STEAM school in Ward 5, will be at both #411 and our two schools east of the river, Rocketship Legacy Prep and Rocketship Rise Academy, will be at booth #410.
Remember to get to the DC Armory early on the big day. Parking and admission is free!
Tip 3: Meet Your Top Choices
- Make sure you visit your top schools. Does the staff seem warm and friendly? Get a feel for the school culture and don’t be afraid to ask questions!
- Take notes! Write down your first impressions, the answers to your questions, and any other relevant information. Get contact information in case you have follow-up questions.
- Kids eat free! Free boxed lunches for children and youth up to age 18 (while supplies last) between the hours of 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
.Now that you’ve met your schools it’s time to narrow it down.
.Tip 4: Research and Refine
- Review your notes and do any extra online research by visiting GreatSchools and checking out the schools’ websites. You can also research Tier scores with DCPCSB.
- Consider scheduling a visit to your top schools to make sure it is a good fit in-person.
- List out your top choices, and eliminate any schools that don’t fit your list of things that matter most. Rank the remaining schools.
My School DC operates the common application and public school lottery for the city’s public schools. The lottery for the 20/21 school year launches on December 16, 2019
Tip 5: Apply and Enroll
- You can apply to up to 12 schools. Make sure you are applying to at least 6 out of your 12 spaces for schools as you may not get your first choice.
- Apply early and make sure you get your applications in by the March 2nd deadline!
- Know and look out for your school match email at the end of March.
- Enroll your child once he/she has been matched. Enrollment begins in April.
- Put school spring and summer events on your calendar if offered.
Published on December 10, 2019
Read more stories about: Uncategorized.